The Promise of Justice Initiative has joined the Orleans Parish Prison Reform Coalition (OPPRC) to ask the elected city officials of New Orleans to release the following classes of people in response to the Covid19 pandemic:
(1) People who are being held pretrial who fall into the high-risk categories defined by the CDC.
(2) People held for outstanding fines and fees.
(3) People arrested for misdemeanor offenses.
(4) People arrested for a non-violent crime that, under Louisiana statute, would not require a mandatory prison sentence if convicted.
(5) People who are detained on a probation or
parole hold, based on an arrest for a non-violent crime for which they would not be mandated to serve a prison sentence if convicted, and who are otherwise in compliance with the terms of their probation or parole.